Flybrid Systems are working with a number of OEM car makers including Jaguar and Volvo to develop flywheel hybrid systems for road cars. Available in a range of power and storage levels these systems are suitable for application to vehicles in all classes from small city cars to full size saloon cars and SUVs.
Road car systems typically feature:
- A design life of 250,000 kms with no performance degradation
- A better cost / benefit ratio than electric hybrid systems
- Optimised KERS transmission based on either CVT or CFT technology
- Bespoke Flybrid developed vacuum, oil and hydraulic pumps to reduce parasitic losses
- Powerful clutches to allow launch of the vehicle from rest under flywheel power alone with the engine turned off
- Fully automatic control systems that react to normal vehicle control pedal movements and require no additional inputs from the driver
- Packaging space similar to just the motor of an electric hybrid system
These road car systems have been demonstrated in a number of different vehicles around the world and are now being readied for volume production. Flybrid expect to start supply of these systems in high volume during 2015.
The Flybrid® 9013 hybrid system as fitted to the Jaguar XF demonstrator